Note: To write a comment, click on the Post Title first, then Post a comment.

30 January 2009

Labor Day

Yes, "Labor Day" for me has come and gone... and although a 30-page, single-spaced, back-to-back account of that day wouldn't do it justice, I will try to impart to you the shortest version possible:

Around 12:30 AM of January 26, I woke up feeling uneasy... I stood up and went to the bathroom several times but I couldn't pinpoint what I wanted to do. I didn't feel like I was going to pee or poop so I lied down again but couldn't go back to sleep so I texted Charlie "Honey, manganganak na yata ako" around 2:15 AM (I was staying at my parents' house at that time because Charlie was scared that I would be alone when the time comes) but I guess Charlie was fast asleep at that time and I wasn't sure whether I was going into labor already so I just kept quiet and closed my eyes trying my hardest to sleep. I guess I succeeded to get some shut-eye because the next thing I remember was waking up at around 6am feeling wet and sweaty. When I stood up I felt fluids trickling down my legs already and so I called my sisters who were having breakfast at that time and when they saw me standing frozen by the doorway of the bedroom they went on panic mode and called my Dad and Mom... next thing I knew I was cleaned up, dressed and in the car on the way to the hospital. We arrived at the hospital at around 8:30 AM and I was immediately admitted to the Delivery Room because I already had an admission note from my OB. The rest of the day was a haze of coming and going of nurses, doctors and the feeling of pain and being tired. I was only 3cm and continued to be so until around 2pm so my OB decided to give me oxytocin to help and antibiotics before that because my water bag broke already making me and the baby prone to infections. By 6pm I was already 6cm but the baby was still "floating" and was yet to descend. I was then transferred to a Delivery Table and was given an epidural for the pain and was nebulized to prevent an asthma attack. By 8:45pm I was already 8cm and Adam went down a little but I heard my OB say she wants to talk to my hubby and Mom making me a bit nervous. I knew something was wrong and so I asked the resident beside me if it was going to take long before I gave birth and she said the baby was still a bit "high" and there were times when his heartbeat was going down. This prompted me to talk out loud to my baby... I said "Adam, please go down na... they're all waiting for you na..." By 9pm I when the second shot of "pain reliever" wore off and the Anesthesiologist was administering the third shot I felt an accumulation of saliva in my mouth and before I knew it, I threw up right then and there. The nurses and doctors were as surprised as I was (but I guess the pain and lack of food since early that morning just had to take it's toll on me) and next thing I knew they were asking me to push as hard as I can when the contactions come while a couple of the residents/nurses were helping out (pushing down on my tummy).... After a several tries I felt my baby come out and I heard his cry.... Charles Adam E. Yadao made his debut at 9:44pm of January 26, 2009 at the University of Sto. Tomas Hospital.

3 comments:

cheryll said...

hey, hey, hey! Congrats to the new mom and dad! :)

"...a 30-page, single-spaced, back-to-back account of that day wouldn't do it justice..."

i say amen to your statement.

God bless sa inyo. Take advantage when Adam naps, nap ka rin para maka-recover agad :)

Jen said...

congrats heidi and charlie :)

Unknown said...

weeeeeeeeeee congratulations Heidi, nanganak ka na pala ... welcome to the outside world Charles Adam ... goodluck to sleepless nights!